The process by which a family obtains a voucher from one PHA and uses it to lease a unit in the jurisdiction of another PHA is known as portability.
- The 1st PHA is called the initial PHA.
- The 2nd is called the receiving PHA.
Families Porting to LafayetteNotice: The LHA is currently billing all incoming vouchers.
- Step 1: Your current Housing Authority will have to send your portability paperwork to our office. This can be sent via the postal service at P.O. Box 6687 or by fax at 765-771-1313.
- Step 2: Once the Lafayette Housing Authority (LHA) has received your paperwork, an appointment can be schedule to come in and sign a voucher and getting renting information. An appointment will not be scheduled until the paperwork is received.
- Step 3: At the appointment you will sign a voucher and be given information on rent ranges, landlords, etc. Then you will be able to begin your housing search. At this appointment you will also be given a checklist of further steps to receiving rental assistance through our office.
- Step 4: Approximately 1 month after your 1st meeting, you will be require to attend a Family Briefing Session.
Families Requesting to Port Out of LafayetteYou must live in the LHA's jurisdiction with voucher assistance for at least 12 months before requesting portability outside of the LHA's jurisdiction.
- Step 1: Contact your Housing Specialist to inquire about transferring.
- Step 2: If you are eligible to transfer the LHA will contact the Housing Authority you are requesting to transfer to find out if they are absorbing vouchers or if they are billing vouchers.
- Step 3: Depending on funding availability, you may or may not be able to transfer. Once the LHA has received the information from the other Housing Authority you will either be approved to transfer or denied.
- Step 4: If your transfer is approved, an appointment will be scheduled for you to come in and sign all the required transfer papers.
- Step 5: The LHA will send your transfer papers to the receiving Housing Authority via the postal service or through fax.
Current Voucher Payment Standards for Lafayette & West Lafayette
- Efficiency 0 bedrooms = $620
- 1 bedroom = $771
- 2 bedrooms = $872
- 3 bedrooms = $1,130
- 4 bedrooms = $1,455
- 5 bedrooms = $1,670